Installing onto a Debian system... install-info problems

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Dec 13 18:38:16 PST 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 05:12:52PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> Thanks for your response. (As an aside, one of the things I love about linux
> in general, and LFS in particular, is the stellar support from users and
> creators). I just have one (or two) more questions:

That's what a Community is all about.. a sense of pride and joy,
learning, while knowledge is passed hand in hand, while we all learn from
each other's comments, advice and mistakes.

> 1. Is it possible to compile the first set of packages (the statically
> linked ones), at least, without running install-info, delaying their info
> installation until after the chroot into the LFS enviornment?

I dont' see why not, everything (well, minus Glibc, unless you do it
inside/after chroot) gets overwritten anyways, but the question is, can
you ignore the problem? will the Makefiles bomb out if you don't upgrade
texinfo? or will everything install like normal...

if they just install the binaries and (most) support files, then it's
no big deal...

> 2. Should this be documented in the book?

Nah..a simple search in the mailing list archives would have brough up
this answer, if anything, sooner or later, a FAQ will start..

> P.S. The worst thing about not having my linux box up... having to write an
> email in Outlook Express!

Hehehe...

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org