Installing WinModem

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Thu Dec 14 08:58:26 PST 2000

At 02:55 PM 12/14/00 +0000, Shlok Smári Datye wrote:
>Hi
>
>I have a modem called "56K PCI Pro(TM) V.90/K56flex Voice/Fax Windows Modem"
>from Actiontec. Does anyone know if it's usable on Linux? I didn't find any
>drivers on actiontec.com. On their website they say:
>
>"The Pro modems operate in Windows 95/98, Windows NT 4.0, and Windows 2000.
>It will not operate in DOS or Windows 3.x."'
>
>They don't mention Linux. So that's why I asked on this list.

A rule of thumb I have found is that if the documentation says it requires
a Pentium 133 or faster it is because it is off-loading work onto the CPU.
I want all devices in my boxes pulling their own weight so I live by this
rule and have no such modems.

I see topics in the comp.os.linux.hardware newsgroup where posters are
asking about support for soft-modems. I don't read those threads so I don't
know. If you do not have a Usenet news agent you can use deja.com. There
was a post yesterday on Slashdot about deja.com getting rid of "the
annoying 'precision buying service' ...(had) to click through". It was in
that post that I learned about the Linux page at google.

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org