Wondering about bootscripts

eriddle at linuxcare.com eriddle at linuxcare.com
Thu Dec 14 09:55:24 PST 2000

Quoting Alexander Kloss on Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 05:43:16PM +0100 :
> ken_i_m wrote:
> > Ah....
> > I have not started playing with X but I seem to recall that it runs at a
> > default level of 5 or something like that.
> Using Debian, X is started at rlvl 2, SuSE/RH/Mandrake starts it at rlvl
> 3.
>
> You may use what you want; you could even concentrate everything in 1
> runlevel.
> But you have to figure out what you want to gain with it. The thing you
> can gain is control over your system through starting with lilo and
> another runlevel, if some parts of it (eg the X Server) goes mad.
>
> So you can form a picture like that:
>
> runlevel 0 - machine halted
> runlevel 1 - single user mode
> runlevel 2 - multi user mode including network, without X
> runlevel 3 - " including X
> runlevel 4,5 - unused
> runlevel 6 - reboot machine
>
> That's how SuSE/RH/Mandrake does it.
>
> You can do with it anything you like; you can have different
> configurations on different runlevels.
>
> Have fun!
>
> LX
> --
> May the source be with you!

According to the LSB Specification:
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/spec/x5437.html

Run Levels

 0 halt
 1 single user mode
 2 multiuser with no remote networking
 3 normal/full multiuser
 4 reserved for local use, default is normal/full multiuser
 5 xdm or equivalent
 6 reboot

Cheers,
Ed