depmod is looking for non-existant file

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Thu Dec 14 21:46:16 PST 2000

Hey,

I don't know what happened. I had 2.4.0-test12 booting fine. Trying to add
networking it could not find my card. I opened the box up and found that I
had compile support for the wrong NIC card in. So, I recompiled and now it
hangs on booting the kernel.

I went back into the chroot environment and tried:

#depmod -a
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep for writing

Of course, it can't, the 2.2.14-5.0 directory does not exist. It is part of
the Red Hat file structure. Why is it looking for something it should not
know about? More importantly how do I make it forget?

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org