depmod is looking for non-existant file

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Thu Dec 14 22:16:29 PST 2000

At 10:46 PM 12/14/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey,
>
>I don't know what happened. I had 2.4.0-test12 booting fine. Trying to add
>networking it could not find my card. I opened the box up and found that I
>had compile support for the wrong NIC card in. So, I recompiled and now it
>hangs on booting the kernel.
>
>I went back into the chroot environment and tried:
>
>#depmod -a
>depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep for writing
>
>Of course, it can't, the 2.2.14-5.0 directory does not exist. It is part
>of the Red Hat file structure. Why is it looking for something it should
>not know about? More importantly how do I make it forget?

When I got it booting the first time I did not do a depmod at all.

I am not sure why but I got it to work with this:

# /sbin/depmod -a -F /boot/System.map 2.4.0-test12

with no complaints. Unfortunately my system still will not boot that
kernel. It hangs . . .

Uncompressing Linux. . . Ok, booting the kernel.

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org