Ok, Booting the kernel....(into the never never) was Re: depmod...

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Fri Dec 15 08:19:43 PST 2000

At 07:31 AM 12/15/00 -0600, scott wrote:
>When you chroot, you are *not* using the new kernel; the kernel is only
>loaded at boot. So when you
>used depmod, it was communicating with the 2.2 kernel. Chroot does not
>create a
>perfect/complete/entire new environment for you, it just does what it
>says: changes the root of
>your filesystem to that directory.
>---scott

I did a bunch more reading and understand that now. I cleaned up and
rebuilt the kernel one more time before packing it in for the night. I did
not need to run depmod as it is part of the make modules_install.

Additionally I built the networking and NIC into the kernel itself.

At 08:24 AM 12/15/00 -0600, Tom wrote:
>You need to make sure you have the latest and greatest version of modutils.
>They rearranged the module heirarchy quite a bit for 2.4.
>
>Tom Veldhouse
>veldy at veldy.net

I had downloaded modutils-2.3.22.tar.bz2. This is the latest version that I
am aware of.

I had a fully booting system that was not finding the NIC. So I swapped it
out for an Encore NIC using the Realtek RTL-8139. I re-built the kernel
compiling support for that card in. When I tried to reboot I got:

Uncompressing Linux. . . Ok, booting the kernel.

and the it went off into the never never, never to be seen again. So, I
figured it had something to do with depmod and for forth. As Scott points
out I have to tell depmod what parameters to use. Done. Still goes off into
the never never. Frankly, I don't know what to look at.

(moment later)
I have run a keyword search at Google/linux for "booting process". I read
through some of the results. If someone were to point me at a specific
document or give a hint as to what to look for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org