local settings for germany

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 15 14:49:45 PST 2000

> hello out there!
>
> maybe you can help me with getting my german keyboard-layout and other
> country-related stuff to work... I've tried

First of all find the kmap file that fits your keyboard best, probably in
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/, something with "de". This is already
mentioned in the book (when installing consoledata). You should have it
symlinked as defkeymap.kmap.gz.
If this layout has a few problems like the Norwegian keymap I chose which
had the delete key not working properly, you just edit the file. It's a
normal gzipped text file.
Do "man keymaps", "man showkey" and "man loadkeys"
Note that this is just for the Linux text consoles. X is different.
To get bash working right you'll need "man bash" and read the stuff about
"inputrc" and "bind".
In order to find out what sequence of characters a key produces so that
you know what you'll have to use for bindings, "cat" is very useful.

MSB

----
An army of sheep led by a lion
is stronger than an army of lions