local settings for germany

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 15 14:49:46 PST 2000

> First you should search for the dir where the keyboard layouts are stored. I
> don't really remember where.
> To search just type "find / -name *.kmap.gz
>
> Then, you should try to modify /etc/init.d/loadkeys and look for where
> loadkeys is executed and have the 2nd argument point to the layout file.
>
> Example:
>
> /usr/bin/loadkeys <path-to-layouts>/<mylayout>.kmap.gz
>
> I don't really think you need the "-d > dev/null", so just remove it.

The -d makes it load /usr/share/defkeymap.kmap.gz which the book tells you
to set up as a symlink to the keymap being used. That way you can change
the keymap without changing the bootscript.
The dev/null redirection suppresses the message loadkeys outputs. This is
done to make the fancy

output, instead of

Loadking keymap...
                                                             [   OK   ]

BTW, instead of

echo -n "loading keymap..."
loadkeys -d >/dev/null
evaluate_retval

I use

loadkeys -d
$CURSOR_UP
evaluate_retval

with $CURSOR_UP being the escape sequence for moving the cursor up one
line. That way I get the original output from loadkeys and still have the
fancy result printed in the same line.

MSB

----

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org