Sound Card (SB AWE 64)

Frank Langtind frank at langtind.no
Sun Dec 17 05:51:11 PST 2000

I've successfully installed AWE64. There were several problems, but it eventually worked.

First of all I configured the card using the isapnp-tools.

The first problem was that /dev/dsp, /dev/sndstat and /dev/mixer were not created during installation (at least not for me). Description of how to create those files are found in devices.txt (linux kernel
documentation) and 'man mknod'.

In modules.conf I added a line about the sb configuration. I don't have the computer here, so I can't check what I wrote. Think it was something like this: option sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=3 dma16=7

Then I could load the soundblaster driver with modprobe sb.

Hope it helps..

Frank

Then I loaded the OSS module (modprobe sound). I don't know if this is necessary, but it worked for me.