[Re: X Question]

Corey Cox sleepnir at usa.net
Mon Dec 18 10:16:41 PST 2000

Took me about 6 on a i586 100MHz w/ 64MB.  YOur should be a little shorter
I would think.

Corey Cox.

Simon Perreault <nomis80 at videotron.ca> wrote:
On Monday 18 December 2000 03:26, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm planning on setting up X on my LFS system.
>
> 1. All I have to do is (1)Install XFree86 and (2)Install Gnome/KDE ?

1 and 2 have several sub-steps. You have to install several graphic
libraries, such as libungif, libpng, libjpeg, imlib, qt, gtk+, etc. You may
need other libraries not related to graphics, such as libz. You should read
the appropriate LFS-Hint at http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-hints/.
There's a gnome hint and a KDE2 hint. Both of them are current enough to
guide you.

> 2. For those who have compiled the Xfree86 source, how long did it take and
> on what machine? (I have 233MHz Pentium II, 128MB RAM)

Athlon 800, about 30 minutes.
For you, I'm guessing about, hum, 6 hours?

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org