proftpd

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Tue Dec 19 13:49:23 PST 2000

Yo,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 10:30:46PM +0100, Stefan Hoffmeister wrote:
> I haven't followed this proftpd thread too closely - if it's between
> Unix-like system (e.g. Linux <-> Linux), NFS is a nice, *performant*
> choice.

Uhh..ok, maybe most Unix-like systems have great NFS support and
performance, but linux support and performance really is not there, and
getting NFS to work right, requires twice if not three times more work
then SMB, imho (well, untill Ian finishes his new NFS Hint =)

SMB is great, if you just want to share files, especially if your LAN is
a mix between different OS's, imho...

(really, SMB, unpack, ./configure --with-smbmount && make && make
install, make sure you have SMB file system support in the kernel and
that's it for the client, server requirest starting two deamons and
making a small configuration file)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org