proftpd

Stefan Hoffmeister linuxfromscratch.mailinglist at Econos.de
Tue Dec 19 14:02:55 PST 2000

: On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:49:23 -0500, Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

>SMB is great, if you just want to share files, especially if your LAN is
>a mix between different OS's, imho...

There is just a problem: In a Linux 2.2.16 (SuSE 7.0) and W2K SP1
scenario, the Linux client (!) apparently does not see any notifications
that are made due to changes to a directory on the W2K SP1 "server" while
the share is mounted.

IOW, on the Linux side, I always see the cached directory. The other way
round (Samba serving to W2K SP1) works flawlessly...

[I share quite a bit across machines as I am working with two systems
simultaneously - thanks to X Windows :->]

>but linux support and performance really is not there

Well, I recently shuffled around 500 MB across a 100 MBit network over NFS
- worked perfectly, saturated everything around, and, most importantly,
kept all the mode bits...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org