SIOCSIFADDR: Invalid argument

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 19 14:11:45 PST 2000

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 15:48, you wrote:
> I can ping the NIC from other boxes on my LAN. Doing
>
> ifconfig

That's the command used to configure the network without restarting. Type
"man ifconfig" for more info.

> returns numbers for eth0 and lo that look like the ones that work for my
> Red Hat set-up.

That doesn't mean anything ;)

> >Bringing up the eth0 interface. . . netmask: Host name lookup failure
> >SIOCSIFADDR: Invalid argument
>
> Are the network scripts trying to do a DNS look up? I don't have a name
> server and am not planning on setting one up for a while yet.

No. There's no DNS involved in the network startup scripts. It's an issue
with your netmask. What's your network setup? Your netmask depends on what
class of network you're on.

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org