proftpd

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 19 14:25:18 PST 2000

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 16:46, you wrote:
> There were some issues with NFS when mounting r/w, IIRC. I'm not quite
> sure, but I think NFS is required to actually wait until the data is
> written *physically* on disk before it returns. Again, that might not be
> true for more recent versions.

>From the NFS-HOWTO:

A trick to increase NFS write performance is to disable synchronous writes on
the server. The NFS specification states that NFS write requests shall not be
considered finished before the data written is on a non-volatile medium
(normally the disk). This restricts the write performance somewhat,
asynchronous writes will speed NFS writes up. The Linux nfsd has never done
synchronous writes since the Linux file system implementation does not lend
itself to this, but on non-Linux servers you can increase the performance
this way with this in your exports file:

/dir    -async,access=linuxbox

or something similar. Please refer to the exports man page on the machine in
question. Please note that this increases the risk of data loss.

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org