SIOCSIFADDR: Invalid argument

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 19 18:58:23 PST 2000

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 19:13, ken_i_m wrote:
> What I get from "route add 127.0.0.1" is:
>
> SIOCADDRT: No such device

There is an obvious error in the guide. The real command you must enter is:

route add 127.0.0.1 lo

But this is not useful at all. I can ping localhost without it being in the
routing table, and the ping times are 0ms, which means that it is using the
lo device. In fact, I researched the thing a bit, and found out that adding
lo to the routing table is old practice, and is no longer necessary with
newer kernels. Do it if you feel like it, but it's not needed. It just
affects the looks of your routing table ;)

> and from "ping localhost":
>
> ping: unknown protocol icmp
>
> I don't understand what is wrong. I went through this exercise several
> times when I first set-up my LAN this past summer using Red Hat.

Did you install all the packages? Netkit et al?

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org