Gnome-KDE

Seri Al-Najjar Seri_Al-Najjar at ins.com
Wed Dec 20 05:08:36 PST 2000

There's quite a lot of discussion going on from advocates of both camps,
GNOME now has the GNOME Foundation which is backed by Sun, HP, IBM, Compaq,
RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, Borland, VA Linux and a few others.

On the other side, KDE now has the KDE League which is backed by HP,
IBM, Compaq, Caldera, Corel, Fujitsu/Siemens, Madrake, SUSE, Trolltech,
Borland and a few others.

As you can see both teams share pretty much the same backing, the only thing
that may swing it on the long term survivor stakes is the announcement by Sun
that they will be using GNOME as the default desktop environment in future
releases of Solaris.

Both teams are working on cross platform support, so that apps written for
one environment will run seamless in the other.

As Richard has already said, it's down to personal preference, but also,
there's no reason why you can't run both...

Seri

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org