Mounting other partitions

Neil Montgomery neil at utstat.toronto.edu
Wed Dec 20 13:19:14 PST 2000

I'm in the middle of my first LFS install, usually getting through one
or two packages per day. I have used a few different distributions in
the past, all dual booted with W95. The last one was wiped out by a
W95 reinstall. (Advice: keep a record of all the details of your
partitions!) That gave me a good opportunity to build a LFS.

Although I'm only up to intalling Glibc, it has been a great learning
experience. (For example: compiling gcc uncovered some faulty
memory, and compiling Glibc stopped due to a lack of memory ---
turns out the swap space had not been enabled!) I'd like to thank all
those who put so much effort into this project.

The LFS book does not go into details about partitions (other than
that you need at least one). I have my personal preferences for
partitions, so I would like to ask: after an LFS installation, is
there anything in /usr/local/, /home, /tmp, or /var, and if there is,
can it be deleted without consequence so that partitions can be
mounted there sensibly from now on?

Regards,
Neil

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org