Gnome/Sawfish questions

John E. Garrott, Sr johnga at primenet.com
Thu Dec 21 16:23:43 PST 2000

Shlok Smári Datye wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have now installed Gnome/Sawfish successfully. But I still have questions.
>
> 1. When starting up Gnome (with a large logo in a window), it halts for some
> time at the message "starting gnome-wm". Anyone know why?
>
> 2. Is there a way to get rid of the icons (I think it was called gmc or gmp
> or something) off the taskbar (not the desktop)? Or just get rid of the
> whole taskbar?
>
> 3. On Gnome/Sawfish startup, I get message "You are running a Window Manager
> which is not compatible with Gnome". But Sawfish should be compatible,
> right?
>
> Thank you for previous help.
> --
> Shlok Smári Datye
> http://shlok.ript.net/
>
> --

1. Not really.  If you are allowing gnome to start the
window manager, it is probably just pulling it off the
disk, starting it and setting up menus.

2. Do a ps aux to find them and kill all occurrances
of gmc.  Save your new setup.  You will find they
come back any time you start up gmc.  Probably a
better way to do this, but I don't yet understand
gnome enough to do it. :-)

3. I really don't know on this one.  It happened to
me also when I was using sawfish.  Hasn't happened
yet using fvwm2, xfce, or icewm.  (I've been experimenting
with wm's :)

Hope someone else can provide better answers,

John

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org