Gnome/Sawfish questions

Jason Kibblewhite jkibble at telusplanet.net
Fri Dec 22 07:04:48 PST 2000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 04:23:43PM -0800, John E. Garrott, Sr wrote:
> Shlok Smári Datye wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have now installed Gnome/Sawfish successfully. But I still have questions.
> >
> > 1. When starting up Gnome (with a large logo in a window), it halts for some
> > time at the message "starting gnome-wm". Anyone know why?
> >
> > 2. Is there a way to get rid of the icons (I think it was called gmc or gmp
> > or something) off the taskbar (not the desktop)? Or just get rid of the
> > whole taskbar?
> >
> > 3. On Gnome/Sawfish startup, I get message "You are running a Window Manager
> > which is not compatible with Gnome". But Sawfish should be compatible,
> > right?
> >

> 1. Not really.  If you are allowing gnome to start the
> window manager, it is probably just pulling it off the
> disk, starting it and setting up menus.
>
> 2. Do a ps aux to find them and kill all occurrances
> of gmc.  Save your new setup.  You will find they
> come back any time you start up gmc.  Probably a
> better way to do this, but I don't yet understand
> gnome enough to do it. :-)
>
> 3. I really don't know on this one.  It happened to
> me also when I was using sawfish.  Hasn't happened
> yet using fvwm2, xfce, or icewm.  (I've been experimenting
> with wm's :)

1. not sure unless I can get more info, what was stated my be true.

2. the panel can be turned off, run gnomecc the gnome control panel
thing

3. fvwm2, I'm assuming you're using the latest beta[s] is defaulted to
compiling with gnome support, as is icewm and xfce.
Sawfish doesn't, ./configure --enable-gnome or --with-gnome I forget
which, ./configure --help should let you know

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org