Gnome/Sawfish questions

Mike Hildebrandt mikehild at insight.org
Fri Dec 22 08:35:01 PST 2000

> Hi
>
> I have now installed Gnome/Sawfish successfully. But I still
> have questions.
>
> 1. When starting up Gnome (with a large logo in a window), it
> halts for some
> time at the message "starting gnome-wm". Anyone know why?

Haven't figured that out, unfortunately.  =(  But you're not alone with that
problem.

> 2. Is there a way to get rid of the icons (I think it was
> called gmc or gmp
> or something) off the taskbar (not the desktop)? Or just get
> rid of the
> whole taskbar?

Are you referring to stuff like gmc and panel showing up in the tasklist?
If so, make sure your .xinitrc (or the end of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc)
contains only "exec gnome-session", and not "sawfish & exec gnome-session".

If that doesn't work, try deleting any gnome configuration stuff from your
home directory (I'm not at my linux box so I can't check... I believe it's
in a directory called .gnome or similar.  Also delete the .sawfish directory
as well), then reinstall gnome-libs, gnome-core, sawfish, and mc.  I've
found that if I run Gnome before compiling sawfish and mc something doesn't
get set up right so all those weird things show up in the tasklist.

> 3. On Gnome/Sawfish startup, I get message "You are running a
> Window Manager
> which is not compatible with Gnome". But Sawfish should be compatible,
> right?

Sawfish was designed primarily to go along with Gnome, so it definately is
compatible.  Try installing/recompiling the most recent version of Sawfish,
and see if that fixes it.  This might also be the cause or side-effect of
problem #2...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org