>&

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 23 20:54:07 PST 2000

On Saturday 23 December 2000 22:04, ken_i_m wrote:
> Hey Hey:
>
> I don't recall this one getting floated on the list.
>
> some_command >& err.txt
>
> Is this a macro or something? My RedHat starter system will redirect the
> screenfulls of output from make, for example, to a file that I can then
> glance through at my leisure. LFS ignores it.

>From the bash manpage:

   Redirecting Standard Output and Standard Error
       Bash allows both the standard output (file  descriptor  1)
       and  the  standard  error output (file descriptor 2) to be
       redirected to the file whose name is the expansion of word
       with this construct.

       There  are two formats for redirecting standard output and
       standard error:

              &>word
       and
              >&word

       Of the two forms, the first is preferred.  This is  seman­
       tically equivalent to

              >word 2>&1

As for LFS ignoring it,

<tappity tappity tap..>

nope, it works perfectly, as expected. This is standard bash syntax.

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org