Run levels, ls -la, /dev/random

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Sun Dec 24 10:21:32 PST 2000

On Sunday 24 December 2000 03:06, Benjamin Pharr wrote:
> 1.) I know the purpose of the run levels in my distro, but I was wondering
> what the author had in mind for the functionality of run levels 2-5 on the
> LFS system.

Level 2 is for multi-user without network, and runlevel 5 is like runlevel 3.
You'll probably customize runlevel 5 so that it enables the GUI.

> 2.) Try doing a `ls -la | less` on your LFS system..  It gives me some
> weird characters around the filenames.  Is this happening to anyone
> else?  Anyone know how to fix it?

You alias to ls must contain "--color=auto", not "--color" as I had
previously.

> 3.) How can I make /dev/random and/or  /dev/urandom for my LFS system.

cd /dev
mknod random c 1 8
mknod urandom c 1 9
chown root.sys random urandom
chmod 666 random urandom

> --Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--
> classfield top-secret government restricted data information project CIA
> KGB GRU DISA DoD defense systems military systems spy steal terrorist
> Allah Natasha Gregori destroy destruct attack democracy will send Russia
> bank system compromise international own rule the world ATSC RTEM warmod
> ATMD force power enforce sensitive directorate TSP NSTD ORD DD2-N AMTAS
> STRAP warrior-T presidental elections policital foreign embassy takeover

My .sig! Violated!

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org