comile problems (was: procps compile problem)

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 25 23:06:37 PST 2000

On Tuesday 26 December 2000 00:00, Daniel Roethlisberger wrote:
> interface.c: In function `ife_print_long':
> interface.c:633: `ARPHRD_CSLIP' undeclared (first use in this function)
> interface.c:633: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> interface.c:633: for each function it appears in.)
> interface.c:633: `ARPHRD_CSLIP6' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Any ideas what might be causing it? I am using a 2.4 kernel,
> might this be the reason for it?

ARPHRD_CSLIP[6] is defined in the <linux/if_arp.h> header file, which comes
from the kernel includes. It probably is different in the 2.4 kernel. This
definition is only needed if you selected "yes" when the net-tools package
asked if you needed the "SLIP (serial line) support (HAVE_HWSLIP)". If you
don't need this option, select "no" and the problem will go away.

You COULD force it to compile by playing the preprocessor's role and
replacing all the ARPHRD_CSLIP by 257 and the ARPHRD_CSLIP6 by 259. A good
recipe for disaster though. If you can steer your way through kernel
includes, you may also try to find the corresponding definitions in kernel
2.4 and change net-tools' source.

There's probably a known fix for this problem. Maybe a patch to net-tools, an
upgraded version, or a completely other package you need to install with 2.4.
My knowledge of linux-2.4 is limited for the moment.

What do others think of this?

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org