eth0

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 26 12:16:45 PST 2000

On Tuesday 26 December 2000 12:54, Benjamin Pharr wrote:
> All the drivers for my ethernet card seem to be set up, but it still gives
> me errors when the startup scripts run and there is no eth0 device.  Any
> idea how I can fix this?  Also, where can I get word and acronym lists for
> /usr/dict/words and /usr/share/misc/acronyms?  Thanks!

Is your driver a module or is it compiled as part of the kernel? If it is a
part of the kernel and doesn't auto-detect the ethernet card at boot time
then you need to pass arguments to the kernel via the LILO boot: prompt, like
this:

where <irq> is the IRQ number of the card, <io> is the IO base of the card,
in hex (ex: 0x240) and <name> is the device name of the card (ex: eth0, eth1,
etc.)

If it is compiled as a module, type "modprobe <module>" where <module> is the
name of the driver. If it doesn't load, type "insmod <module> io=<io>
irq=<irq>".

Copy all the error messages and send them here for further help. We can't do
much without all the logging necessary. The info I gave you was only generic
information. You should take a look at the Ethernet-HOWTO
("http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Ethernet-HOWTO.html"),
this could probably help you solve your problem.

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org