Fwd: OS & Games Software

Jeffery McLean jeffery at meowpawjects.com
Tue Dec 26 18:23:08 PST 2000

On Tuesday 26 December 2000 06:21 am, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> This is one of the best spam's i've received in a while.

> Are you still using an old operating system? Why not upgrade to a
> newer and
> more reliable version? You'll enjoy greater features and more
> stability.
>
> Microsoft Dos 6.22				$15
> Microsoft Windows 3.11				$15

Yes upgrade Windows to Dos 6.22

This reminds me of one of the commen myths of OS design
"Legacy issues" is a missnommer...
It's not a side effect of age but the direct result of "bad" design.
The term for this in the 1980s was "planned obsolessence" not
"legacy issues". The old term was fitting in the 1980s.
Many companys designed computers so you would have no choice
but to buy a whole new system and all new software every 6 months to 5 years.
The Commodore 64 and Vic20 do not (nomrally) upgrade...
[Sodering iron upgrade anything]

Today however this isn't a busness plan...
Operating systems suffering "legacy issues" do so becouse
of poor design and bad planning...

Hardware? Well.. ummm the ISA is 1980s hardware...
Planned obsolessence rulled the day... IBM wanted you to buy
a whole new system (ground up) after 5 years...
ISA lives becouse of poor planning on IBMs part... [ops]

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org