about reiserfs

Arendt sl928ar at uni-duisburg.de
Wed Dec 27 07:31:26 PST 2000

Hello, everybody,

Yesterday evening I had the idea of changing my '/usr/'-partition to reiserfs. Got myself the patch at
ftp://ftp.exinferis.de/reiserfs/. After compiling and installing it and after converting a new partition from ext2 to reiser I
copied everything from /usr to the new partition (named /Usr at that time). I changed my /etc/fstab and then I moved /usr to
/USR and /Usr to /usr. Then I rebooted.

Unfortunately, I got nothing but trouble because sh could not find any shared library (they are all located somewhere in
/usr), so I figured, that I had to mount /usr _before_ starting any init-script.

Since I have no idea how to do that, a (maybe dirty) trick came to my mind: I compiled bash again, like described in chapter 5
statically linked and with prefix=/bin and bindir=/bin. I did not use 'make install' but copied the executable after compiling
to '/bin/static-sh'. Then I changed /etc/init.d/rc to contain '#!/bin/static-sh' as it's first line.

I do admit that this might not be the most elegant way to solve the problem, but it _does_ work (at least for me and my
system, which is a pretty ordinary LFS-system without any important changes).

Bye,
Wolfgang

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org