installing "ed"

Lab Monkey labmonkey at hfx.eastlink.ca
Wed Dec 27 08:18:30 PST 2000

Simon Perreault wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 December 2000 16:36, Lab Monkey wrote:
> > i have not tried that. how do i do that?
>
> A great many compilation errors are caused by optimization. At the beginning
> of chapter 6, you are told about "Debugging symbols and compiler
> optimizations". You are told to put
>
> CFLAGS="-O3 -march=xxx"
> CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
>
> in your .bash_profile. These are the optimization flags. What they do is
> define two environment variables, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. They are used by
> configure scripts to determine what flags to pass to the compiler. In this
> case, the flags "-O3" and "-march=xxx" (where "xxx" depends on the system
> architecture) are used when compiling software. "-O3" means to enable the
> third level of optimization (0 being non-optimized and 6 being quite a bit
> optimized), and "-march=xxx" means to optimize for a specific processor
> architecture.
>
> You can disable extra optimization by commenting out these two lines in your
> .bash_profile (commenting out means putting a "#" at the beginning of each
> line), and logout/login. This will make the compilation default to the
> package-approved compilation level (often this is -O2). Sometimes this is not
> enough, and you must remove all optimization flags. You can do that by
> changing the "-O3 -march=xxx" in ".bash_profile" to "-O", and logout/login
> again (don't forget to uncomment these two lines).
>
> Sometimes, if the package doesn't use a "configure" script, that means that
> it won't check for you environment variables. You can force "make" to use the
> environment variables by using the "-e" flag when running "make", but this is
> often leads to disaster, as environment variables are often redefined in the
> "Makefile". To really change optimization flags when not using a "configure"
> script, you must edit the "Makefile", find the variable that defines compiler
> options (it's not always named "CFLAGS") and edit it so that you have a "-O"
> at the end.
>
> Good luck!

i just tried all of your suggestions, and none of them worked. same
error message on every attempt:

root:/usr/src/ed-0.2#gcc -c -I. -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -O buf.c
In file included from buf.c:26:
ed.h:241: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
/usr/include/stdio.h:557: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'

but thank you very much for the advice.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org