Can't get past Bzip2

barry at hartford.uconn.edu barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Wed Dec 27 10:16:36 PST 2000

WarmFuzzy wrote:

> barry at hartford.uconn.edu wrote:
> >
> > Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:
> > >
> > > Yo,

> > > Nono... inside chroot, where your having this problem..this is in chroot
> > > right? (or did i read something wrong..?)
>
> Sorry Jesse, I'm only on the static version of Bzip2. Barely the third
> package to compile.
> > Perhaps a fix might be to skip to compiling gcc on the current system
> > (which may not work if this problem is that severe) and then start from
> > bzip2 again...
>
> If you think this might work I'd be willing to try that. I suppose there
> is still the possibility that I typed the commands in wrong. I'll try to
> compile Bzip2 once more. The other thing is that I tried to do a minimal
> install. Could it be that I left some packages out? I believe it was
> Binutils that failed because flex wasn't installed. That one was easy
> because during configure I got a message stating that it couldn't find
> flex. Not being able to find a program that I know is installed is a bit
> more baffling to me. So what do you think?
>
> Hugo

yes, I might try the chapter concerning installing gcc on the normal
system if necessary.

First, though...  a question...

what version of glibc does Mandrake 7.2 use?

this can be attained with the command:

	strings /lib/libc* | grep "release version"

this command comes from the glibc install routine in the LFS book.

if it uses the gcc 2.2 pre-release version, then you will likely have
trouble compiling gcc 2.95.2 with it, amongst other programs.

but, try binutils first.  I'm not sure about the flex problems.  That is
rather baffling.  I'm curious to see if other people running Mandrake
7.2 have had similar problems.  Perhaps Mandrake 7.2 will be classified
next to Red Hat 7.0 as not fit for development...shrug..

anyway, get back to me with the glibc version, and also the location of
flex (and whether, it too, is a symlink)...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org