installing "ed"

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Wed Dec 27 11:01:31 PST 2000

On Wednesday 27 December 2000 11:18, Lab Monkey wrote:
> i just tried all of your suggestions, and none of them worked. same
> error message on every attempt:
>
> root:/usr/src/ed-0.2#gcc -c -I. -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -O buf.c
> In file included from buf.c:26:
> ed.h:241: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
> /usr/include/stdio.h:557: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
>
> but thank you very much for the advice.

That's not all! With this information (how come it isn't the same as the one
you gave initially?) I have done my research and can give you an exact
(hopefully) fix.

It seems like your C library doesn't contain the "strerror" function, or the
configure script didn't detect it. The first possibility is not likely, but
probable. Check if you have the "/usr/include/string.h" file. Also, you could
recompile glibc, something has probably gone wrong. But first, remove the
"config.cache" file in ed's directory and re-run the "./configure" script.

Either way, there's a bug in the "ed.h" file which causes a redefinition of
"sys_errlist". Open it in vi, go to the beginning of the 241st line and
insert a "/*", then go to the end of the 242nd line and insert a "*/". I hope
this will work.

--
--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org