Rebooting...modprobe errors

Barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Wed Dec 27 12:22:50 PST 2000

Benjamin Pharr wrote:

> I have made it to the point where I have to reboot and I'm getting an
> error.  I reboot, LILO comes up, I make my selection, and it begins the
> boot process.  While everything is warming up I repeatedly get the message:
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
> /lib/modules/2.2.18/modules.dep (No Such File or Directory )
>
> I installed the kernel exactly as I was supposed to in the book (except for
> the version :-)  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

did you copy over the modules from your initial distribution???

if not, go back to your distribution, export the LFS variable, mount LFS
and do the following:

cp -a /lib/modules/2.2.18 $LFS/lib/modules &&
cp -a /usr/src/linux/System.map $LFS/boot/System.map-2.2.18 &&
cd $LFS/boot &&
ln -s System.map-2.2.18 System.map

if you didn't copy over your modules, that should solve your problem...

this is assuming that /usr/src/linux is your 2.2.18 source tree...the
one that you compiled your kernel in, that is...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org