ext2fs slow?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 28 07:02:23 PST 2000

On December 28, 2000 09:29 am, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> I got a new hard disk for Christmas and moved my LFS system to a 13GB
> partition on the new hard disk. My problem is now that while mounting this
> partition in read-only mode is fast, mounting it read-write takes many
> seconds, at least when done the first time. This slows down booting a lot.
> Is this an ext2fs problem? Mounting the vfat partition of the same size on
> the same disk is fast.
> I've seen ReiserFS mentioned around here several times. Is that one
> mounted faster (I'm not concerned about faster fschks. I know that
> ReiserFS is faster in that respect) ?

No, it's normal. The bigger the partition, the longer it takes to mount it.
The ext2 library in the kernel is doing all kinds of integrity tests and
stuff to make sure the partition is ok (that's also where the message "not
cleanly unmounted, please run e2fsck" stems from). ReiserFS is quicker with
it and I've been using it for a few weeks now with great pleasure.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org