OT: file locations

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 28 08:12:28 PST 2000

On December 28, 2000 09:52 am, Matthias Minich wrote:
> hi,
>
> this might be off topic... don't know. i want to share some files (for
> example mp3s) via different services (ftp, http, samba) at my lfs-box. so
> what's the best place to store them? can i simply use symbolic links from
> each dir (like /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mp3 -> /some/path/to_mp3)? and do
> all services follow symlinks (what if i use a chrooted environment @ ftp)?
>
> BTW: is there any howto or sth. else about wu-ftp?

Don't use wu-ftpd. Too many security problems. Get ProFTPD and make sure you
get the latest CVS version, as the rc2 version on the site has a minor bug
which cause a little bit of a problem with PASSIVE transfer mode.

How to share them: I myself have symlinks in APACHE_ROOT/htdocs that point to
the directories that are shared. apache follows symlinks and so does ftp. It
runs just fine.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org