NewsForge story

Barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Thu Dec 28 09:41:31 PST 2000

Michael Renzmann wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:32:03 -0700
> ken_i_m <ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com> wrote:
>
> > All my life I met my lady friends in bars except this current one. I met
> > her on-line. We have been together a year now and going strong.
>
> Well, now that you talk about it... I met my first girlfriend (which is my
> current) online, too. Well, at least in a way which is comparable to "being
> online". Does anyone here now "Packet Radio"? It is a way of transfering data
> using radio communications. "Packet Radio" itself existed quite a long time,
> but... hmm, I think it was 5 years ago when "Packet Radio" was allowed to be
> done on Citizen Band Radio. So I was able to do it, and I liked it a lot.
> Before that I spend much time in normal BBSs, I had my own, and I was very
> active within the "Fido" (does anyone of you know the Fidonet?), so it was
> just another thing that I had to play with. Packet Radio on CB was very slow
> (about 300 baud, as in the stone ages of computer communications :) ), so it
> was mainly used for chatting. Chatting on Packet Radio is similar to chatting
> in the Internet, and by chatting on PR I met my current girl-friend...
>
> Strange, there seem to be lots of people that find their boy-/girl-friend
> online...

Ahh, Fidonet...yes, I remember Fidonet... good old package based message
forums :)...hehe...

FIdonet was huge, though...here in CT, a lot of boards had it.  And my
last 3 gf's were actually from BBS'... The shortest of the relationships
was 6 monthes.  The current continues with no sign that it will end.
Packet Radio I have never tried, but have always been interested, can
you suggest some online resources???

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org