Chown: can't change owner of files.

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Thu Dec 28 11:53:26 PST 2000

Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:

> What doesn't work in particular, I mean
> which commands return what ?
>
> Sergey Ostrovsky.
>
> --

OK, I assume you are about chown.
chown changes ownership of files. This new owner must exist.
You shouldn't have a file owned by nonexisting user
( although you can, but that's not good ).
Add a user first using 'useradd' command.
Or look in /etc/passwd, /etc/group of your base distro
and do things manually ( if you know what you're doing ).

Sergey Ostrovsky.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org