Chown: can't change owner of files.

Andy Peeters andy.peeters at advalvas.be
Thu Dec 28 12:06:33 PST 2000

Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:
> What doesn't work in particular, I mean
> which commands return what ?
>
> Sergey Ostrovsky.

I run the MAKEDEV script to create all the device files for my LFS system.
After every created device file the script runs chown to set the owner of
the device. And that's where it goes wrong. Chown always return something
like this:

'chown: root.kmem: invalid user'.

The weird thing is that the group (with all the required groups of course)
file and the passwd file exist in the /etc directory.

So the device file are created but without any owner.

Andy.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org