Run levels, ls -la, /dev/random

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Dec 29 04:23:01 PST 2000

Yo,

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 03:29:18PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> But it's part of a normal Linux system IMHO. However, I do agree that
> adding little stuff like this clutters the book. Anyway, in this special
> case the problem lies with MAKEDEV I think. We need an up-to-date MAKEDEV.

What defines what a 'normal Linux system' should have? i could list lots
of stuff that all my boxes have and get installed (zlib, openssl,
openssh, wget, etc) that doesn't make it a default. (then there are
those that would like to see bc, as if you do a 'make test' in openssl
it will fail as there is no bc installed) anyways..

There was once a time when we were going to rewrite MAKEDEV into a much
more usable script.. but i traded places with Gerard so i wrote the ALFS
XML Profile instead of making the MAKEDEV script, he was suppose todo
it, but in the everyday rush of LFS and work he forget about it..so if
anyone is willing to hack one up, let us know.. ;)

PS, added it to the CVS under $CVSROOT/LFS/wishlist.txt...

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org