ext2fs slow?

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 29 08:45:21 PST 2000

Misquoted from Matthias Benkmann on 2000/12/28 at 21:33 +0000:

> Does it give a feelable speed gain during normal operation. Let's take
> compilation of glibc during an LFS installation for instance. That
> accesses and creates a lot of files. Have you noticed any speed gain using
> ReiserFS?

When I switch from ext2 to reiser I found the static part of LFS dropped
from about 70 minutes to abaout 60. Also I found recovering from a power
cut the reiser about 4 seconds for 10GB. I was expecting several minutes
from the way ext2 behaved.

Now the only time I do not use reiser is for floppy, ls120 and zip disks.
These have tar.bz2's sent directly to the device with no file system
or partion structure.

Richard
Use the source Luke...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org