AppindexC/Package updates/various stuff...

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Dec 29 23:02:57 PST 2000

Yo,

I would have checked this againgst the latest pre version Gerard is
working on, but each time i do, his box is offline..so here goes nothing

  * New package updates:

    binutils 2.10 -> 2.10.1
    linux 2.2.17 -> 2.2.18
    glibc-crypt 2.1.3 -> 2.1 (there never was a 2.1.3)
    ncurses 5.1 -> 5.2
    file 3.32 -> 3.33
    bin86 0.15.1 -> 0.15.4
    modutils 2.3.17 -> 2.3.23
    util-linux 2.10o -> 2.10r
    man-pages 1.31 -> 1.34

  * For util-linux and man-pages the URL in the book,
    ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/
    does not work, i had to use,
    ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/utils/util-linux/
    (PS, as i always have trouble reaching ftp.win.tue.nl i noticed the
    files are mirrored on kernel.org, there was only one packaged that
    was out of synx, man was a copy of releases old, but after a quick
    reply to the admin it was sync'ed again..just wanted to let everyone
    know, i find it easier to use kernel.org ;)

  * ld-so, how come there's no homepage/site/url off *.lfs.org link?
    it doesn't have a homepage? it's not critical, as Gerard has said,
    once LFS uses Glibc 2.2 (which *cough* i hope we can all wait untill
    Gcc 3.0 is officially released) will not use it, perhaps a link off
    ibiblio.org or something..

  * consoole-tools, console-data and sysklog,
    metalab.unc.edu/sunsite.unc.edu
    are old..to make the book more "cleaniness" ibiblio.org is the new URL.

  * shadow password suite, ftp://ftp.ists.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/linux/shadow/ i
    can't seem to reach, check [fm] and the main download site is
    ftp://piast.t19.ds.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/linux/shadow/ (and if you check the
    README.mirros it shows this and the URL that LFS is using now and one
    other site that are the three primary locations to download from)
    (PS, again not critical, just wanted to mention it for reference)

  * The Gzip patch is not mentioned in AppindexC.

  * Could the <TITLE> on http://search.linuxfromscratch.org be changed
    to like 'Search Linux From Scratch' instead of 'Linux From Scratch'
    it just messes up my bookmarks.. *adds his small plug request =)*

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org