Rereading of .bash_profile

WarmFuzzy hugo1301 at home.com
Sat Dec 30 01:20:43 PST 2000

Barry wrote:

> It should have defaulted to the packages initial optimization, usually
> -O2 ...
>
> here's the key, it's -O ('oh') because the O stands for
> 'O'ptimization...
>
> the number afterwards is the level of optimization...see 'man gcc' for
> more info...
>
> bash rereads .bash_profile on restarting the shell, but the contents of
> .bash_profile are simply a shell script...
>
> you can actually type them on the command line and they will take
>
> if you type:
>
> CFLAGS='-O3 -march=i686'
> CXXFLAGS=CFLAGS
> TERM=linux
> export CFLAGS CXXFLAGS TERM
>
> just like it is in the .bash_profile on the command line, the same thing
> will happen...
>
> I believe you can also get the .bash_profile to reread by typing 'sh
> ~/.bash_profile
>
> hope that helped :)

Thanks Barry,

I have the command written down on sticky note #102 framing my monitor
screen 8^). But seriously folks, thanks for the info. I didn't realize
one could export the commands at the command line and I knew there had
to be some sort of command to get Bash to reread .bash_profile. I tried
reading man: Bash but that is a lot of information to sift through. I
think that is the number one characteristic of a Linux user, a
willingness to do a lot of reading. I suppose a healthy dose of patience
might not be a bad idea.

Hugo

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org