lfs-crash while copying via samba

Eric A. Ayer mwalker at ee.pdx.edu
Sat Dec 30 23:11:28 PST 2000

> hi
>
> i just tried to copy some mp3-cds via network (win98 to lfs, 100mbits) to my
> linux-machine. after about four or five albums (~260 Mbyte) the whole
> linux-system crashes without any output or sth. like that...
>
> info about the linux-machine:
> P133, 64 MB RAM
> hda 2,5 GB IDE @ e2fs
> hdb 2,5 GB IDE @ e2fs
> hdc 6,5 GB IDE @ reiserfs
> fritzcard pci
> 100 mbit realtec NIC
>
> Kernel 2.2.17 (with reiserfs patched)
> samba 2.0.7
> proftpd (actual version from CVS)
> apache 1.3.?
> capi4linux
>
> is this error known?
> thanks in advance...
> matthias minich

Oddly enough, I've had this problem.  The cause was actually kind of stupid
though.  I was running the procs (smp machine) higher than their rated clock.
The system would freeze after a while.

After fixing that, it ran with two gigabit cards for 4 days, so I conclude that
Samba is sstable as long as the system is.  Hope this helps.

					-Erik

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org