where should kernel config go exactly?

Clyde Wilson clydew at clydew.net
Fri Jun 2 06:15:11 PDT 2000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> >Hi guys,
> >
> >Kernel in chapter 5 rewritten, it contains:
> >root:linux# yes "" | make config
> >root:linux# make dep
> >root:linux# cd /usr/include
> >root:linux# ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux linux
> >root:linux# ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm asm
> >
> >Most likely I will build a quick LFS system (just up to chapter 5 and
> >that's it) but perhaps one of you can tell me: what is needed for 'make
> >dep'. Findutils I've heard about, anything else? Is there anything
> >needed for make config?

I apoligize to someone on the list who suggested that we build the
symlinks before make config/dep and I said that wouldn't work.  It
does work, just fine.

I also thought you needed make dep to generate the version number
in /usr/include/linux.  Wrong again, that is done during make config.
So, do we need to do make dep?

Amazing what a little testing will teach me...

Clyde Wilson