where should kernel config go exactly?

Nelson Arzola narzola at sla.com
Fri Jun 2 07:57:36 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Wilson" <clydew at clydew.net>
> I also thought you needed make dep to generate the version number
> in /usr/include/linux.  Wrong again, that is done during make config.
> So, do we need to do make dep?

For those time when you are compiling the kernel from scratch (for example,
just after  you untar the distribution or just after a 'make clean'), it
does not matter whether or not you do a 'make dep' because every file will
get rebuilt.  The purpose of 'make dep' is so that when you make a kernel
configuration change. 'make' will know which source files will need to be
recompiled in order to properly reflect that change in the new kernel.

On a historical note, back in the days of 8MB / 386sx systems, a full kernel
recompile took more than an hour and a half.  Using 'make dep' allowed you
to make a kernel change and recompile in about 5-10 minutes.  On my current
system (which is not a high end system), a full kernel recompile is about 5
minutes.  However, despite the fact that 'make dep' is not as important
anymore, it is a good practice to get into.  If you ever find yourself
rebuilding a kernel to add a feature, it will save you from the hassles of
an unstable system.  :)

Nelson Arzola
--
Nelson G. Arzola        Seitel Leeds & Associates
Network Engineer        2 Nickerson Street, Suite 201