Two questions.

Antonio Zugaldia azugaldia at retemail.es
Fri Jun 2 12:27:45 PDT 2000

Tomislav Greguric escribió:

> On Thu, 01 Jun 2000, Antonio Zugaldia wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody!
>
> Hi Antonio!
> > (1) I have seen that LFS uses another Linux system to build the LFS, it
> > is not possible to make a self-sufficiency Linux? (avoid static compile,
> > avoid bugs: for example, if we have a poor installation of gcc, we will
> > have a poor LFS) I have heard about cross-compiling... :-?
> [2nd question snipp-snapped]
>
> Well, there's no egg without a chicken (actually, with the off-topic
> thread in mind dealing about some bizzare *nix programs, you need a
> cock, too)!

:-)

> To create your own Linux system you need an OS with a programming
> environment. That should give you the possibilty to build native Linux
> (ELF) executables. But AFAIK no non-Linux system comes with such a
> cross-compiler originally. So you would have to compile it on your
> own. And this is a more complex task than compiling and installing a
> native gcc (believe me, I've build a Linux -> M$-DOG cross compiler).
> And btw, would you trust a system (even GNU/Linux) cross-compiled from
> Redmond94 (I doubt this is possible, anyway, just as an example)??
>
> So this would mean more work and fuss than just installing a binary
> distribution and using it only for the purpose of building your own
> GNU/Linux system.
>
> But, if you want to do something like that, I would suggest to install
> Minix and then try to build Linux there. Back to the roots!

OK. I was wrong about some things about gcc. I understand that we need a
Linux system (easyest) to buold a LFS. Thank you very much and...

In the other hand, Where is minix? ;-D

Regards!

Antonio.
--
/*   Antonio Zugaldia Rodriguez <mailto:azugaldia at retemail.es>
   Microsoft te da las ventanas, GNU/Linux te da la casa completa */