where should kernel config go exactly?

John Phillips lfs at linux.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 12:29:57 PDT 2000

Clyde Wilson wrote

> I also thought you needed make dep to generate the version number
> in /usr/include/linux.  Wrong again, that is done during make config.
> So, do we need to do make dep?

I'm not sure this is right.  I think we do need the "make dep" (or an
equivalent - see below).  Try this and see if you get the same results
as I did:

$ cd /tmp
$ tar -I -xf /home/john/lfs/packages/linux-2.2.14.tar.bz2
$ touch /tmp/ref
$ cd linux/
$ yes '' | make config
$ find . -newer /tmp/ref
.
./include
./include/linux
./include/linux/modules
./include/linux/autoconf.h
./include/asm
./modules
./.config
$

Note that this did not make ./include/linux/version.h, which is needed
by glibc, sysklogd and perhaps others.

A "make dep" does make this (and a lot more).  But a quicker way is:

$ make include/linux/version.h
$ find . -newer /tmp/ref
.
./include
./include/linux
./include/linux/modules
./include/linux/autoconf.h
./include/linux/version.h
./include/asm
./modules
./.config
$

Thus I think you do need the "make dep" although running "make
include/linux/version.h" instead would seem to be better (and is the
command that is recommended by the glibc documentation for compiling
glibc).

John Phillips           john at linux.demon.co.uk