Trend ChipAwayVirus Msg

Mark Stone mstone at valinux.com
Fri Jun 2 12:55:54 PDT 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, noypi pinoy wrote:

> I'm new with linux and I'm trying to dual boot NT and
> linux using the NT loader.
>
> I was able to do that.  When I choose Linux at the
> ntloader options I get the message:
>
> "Trend ChipAwayVirus has detected a boot virus on your
> hard disk!"
>
> I have the option to continue with the boot process.
> I did not observe anything wrong with my machine.
> This only happens if I choose Linux.  It's rather
> annoying.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've experienced this with Norton AntiVirus on Win95 systems. First time
it happened to me, I asked Norton to remove the virus, and then couldn't
boot into Linux.

Basically, the presence of Linux is giving you a boot record modified in
ways that are alien to Windows, and so it's being labelled as a virus. You
can safely ignore this warning. Unfortunately, if you ever get a real
bootsector virus, you won't know when to take heed of the warning.

Mark