Newbie

L Vogtmann vogtmann at pioneernet.net
Sat Jun 3 15:58:32 PDT 2000

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to install LFS and I am facing some problems at the very first
> step itself.
> I have Redhat 6.1 installed on my pentium box.
> fdisk -l /dev/hda reveals:
>
> Disk Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
>
> Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1         9     18112+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda2            10      1023   2044224    5  Extended
> /dev/hda5            10       990   1977664+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda6           991      1023     66496+  82  Linux swap/dev/hda: 64
> heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
>
> Q1:
> Is /dev/hda2 ext2 file system? Assuming so, I tried to mount it
> under /mnt by doing a. mkdir /mnt/hda2 b. mount /dev/hda /mnt/hda2. It gave
> the error message . /dev/hda2 -> No such file or dir... The start and end
> cylinders of /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 seem to overlap. Is that a problem?

No, hda2 is not ext2.  hda1 and hda5 are.  hda2 is an extended partition that
allows the creation of logical partitions 5 and 6.
If you did a default RedHat install, you probably don't have any free space on
your drive.
Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but the easiest way to set up your drive
would be to reinstall Redhat completely, using the "custom" install option.
That way you can use fdisk during the install to create a spare partition (BTW,
ext2 partitions are ID 83.)