Newbie

Georg Wilckens durandal at nfinity.de
Sat Jun 3 16:21:08 PDT 2000

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 06:14:10PM -0400, Desi Mrk wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to install LFS and I am facing some problems at the very first
> step itself.
> I have Redhat 6.1 installed on my pentium box.
> fdisk -l /dev/hda reveals:
>
> Disk Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
>
> Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1         9     18112+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda2            10      1023   2044224    5  Extended
> /dev/hda5            10       990   1977664+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda6           991      1023     66496+  82  Linux swap/dev/hda: 64
> heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
>
> Q1:
> Is /dev/hda2 ext2 file system? Assuming so, I tried to mount it

No. /dev/hda2 ist an _extended partition_. It is some sort of a clutch
because the partition-table only allows for 4 entries. Hence you have
an extended Partition (cyl 10 - 1023) and and as many _logical_
partitions as you like inside.

> under /mnt by doing a. mkdir /mnt/hda2 b. mount /dev/hda /mnt/hda2. It gave
> the error message . /dev/hda2 -> No such file or dir... The start and end
> cylinders of /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 seem to overlap. Is that a problem?

No. This is intentional. /dev/hda5 and 6 are logical partitions. They
are always inside extended partitions.

> Then I tried
> mke2fs /dev/hda2 . The error message was
> /dev/hda2: Not enough space to build proposed filesystem while setting up
> superblock

You are really lucky that your system survived this. I honestly hope
you don't have any important data on this disk. Seriously. Messing
with partitions is really dangerous if you don't know what exactly you
are doing. Please take a look at the Partition-mini-HOWTO.

> Can you'll help me get past this part...

To get a new partition for your LFS, you'll have to split your
Linux-Partition into two parts or get a new disk. Doing the former
will destroy all your data on the partition. Partition-Magic might
help you avoid this perhaps.

Regards,
	Georg
--
Georg Wilckens <durandal at nfinity.de>

The Difficult is that which can be done immediately; the Impossible
that which takes a little longer.