Newbie

ghovs at plex.nl ghovs at plex.nl
Sat Jun 3 16:53:13 PDT 2000

Ack!

You're mounting an extended partition!
And that's NOT the same as ext2.

The ext2 partitions are called 'Linux' under fdisk -l

An extended partition is a sort of master partition for other partition.
A partition that holds partitions.

/dev/hda -hda1
         \hda2-hda5
              \hda6

Of these, only /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5 are mountable as ext2 partitions.
I forget why one would want extended partitions and why they're useful,
apart from the fact that only four primary partitions (/dev/hda1 and
/dev/hda2 are primary partitions, here) can exist on one disk.

rgds,
Peter de Freitas