where should kernel config go exactly?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 3 22:26:28 PDT 2000

> Note that this did not make ./include/linux/version.h, which is needed
> by glibc, sysklogd and perhaps others.
>
> A "make dep" does make this (and a lot more).  But a quicker way is:
>
> $ make include/linux/version.h

Exactly, but. if a make config doesn't create version.h, which other
files are still missing that are made after a make dep.  A find . -newer
fill tell you this but you might think there are files you don't really
need right away. True, you can create those files when you need them,
but I just like to get it over with. When during a compilation some
vague error occurs, I do not immediately think "oh that could be kernel
header files related. Let's try a make dep now and see what happens". I
usually will pry in the source files to see if there's a bug of two that
I might be able to spot. A make dep more or less guarantees me that if
somethings goes awry it most likely won't be the kernel tree. One less
thing to take into account. That's just my point of view and hence the
reason why the book has a 'make dep' while a 'make version.h' could
suffice for that particulair program.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com