where should kernel config go exactly?

Nelson Arzola narzola at sla.com
Sun Jun 4 19:05:38 PDT 2000

> whatever "make dep" is for, it is *not* for partial recompilation, make
> recognizes *automatically* which parts have to be recompiled after a
> config-change.

(1) First, "make dep" is definitely about partial recompilation.  "make dep"
creates a number of files, most of these named '.depend'.  These '.depend'
files contain "make" rules with additional dependencies.  Most of the kernel
sub-makefiles have a set of lines that read:
                ifeq (.depend,$(wildcard .depend))
                include .depend
                endif
Put these together and you will see that "make dep" is the process by which
"make" learns the full set of rules needed to compile or recompile the
kernel.  For example, without these '.depend' files, "make" is unable to
correctly determine which files should be recompiled when
"/usr/src/linux/include/swap.h" is changed.  "make dep" is how "make" is
automatically able to recoginize which parts have to be recompiled after a
config change.

(2) Second, in my earlier post, I incorrectly stated:
        "it does not matter whether or not you do a 'make dep' because every
file will get rebuilt"
In the context of the LFS documents, this is wrong.  In order to compile and
install the GNU C library, you need (in addition to others), the file
"/usr/src/linux/include/version.h".  This file is created in the process of
executing "make config" and "make dep".  Obviously, it does matter whether
or not you do a 'make dep'.

On the other hand, I know that if you don't perform a 'make dep' prior to
compiling the kernel for the first time, it will happen automatically when
you execute 'make'.  In this context, executing a 'make dep' is superflous.

Nelson

--
Nelson G. Arzola         Seitel Leeds & Associates
Network Engineer        2 Nickerson Street, Suite 201

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com